The Allee Theater is the only private chamber opera in Europe and is dedicated primarily to music theater of the 18th and 19th centuries.
The programme includes works from all epochs, mainly from the 18th/19th century. Current productions of well-known operas, such as "Carmen" by Georges Bizet or "The Italian in Algiers" by Gioachino Rossini form the classical foundation of the programme. But the house is also characterised by world premieres. Especially the musical excavations regularly cause a stir, e.g. with "Der Vampyr" by Heinrich Marschner and "Lauter Verrückte! (Che Originali)" by Johann Simon Mayr.
The works are performed in specially prepared versions in German, which take into account the conditions of a chamber opera. The necessary compression of the works is thus intentional. However, great importance is attached to the fact that the character of an opera is always preserved. In the text versions by Barbara Hass, recitative dialogues take the place of recitative dialogues; the plot gains in immediacy, the emotions are tangible through the musical arrangements.
All versions of the Hamburg Chamber Opera are represented by the stage and music publisher Ricordi.
The Hamburger Kammeroper wants to offer opera connoisseurs sophisticated entertainment and at the same time invite opera newcomers to discover the genre of opera.
With the auditorium entirely decorated in red and gold, the gilded stage portal and the 200 different baroque chairs, the design of the Hamburg Chamber Opera is based entirely on the style of baroque theatre.
In keeping with the baroque style, an evening at the Hamburg Chamber Opera can be an all-round pleasure, an experience not only for eyes and ears, but also for the palate. The Bistro Foyer, built in 1996, offers delicious food and drinks in a cosy atmosphere. From small refreshments to a four-course opera menu, which is "composed" especially for the respective opera - after all, food and drink are as much a part of culture as music and theatre.
In 2016, Allee Theater and Theater für Kinder were merged to form Alleetheater Stiftung gemeinnützige GmbH. This means that the Hambuger Kammeroper combines theatre for children and adults in one house.
Hamburg CARD Discount
1. Reductions on the normal or full price for remaining tickets at the box office (usually 1 hour before the start of the performance; valid for in-house and in-house productions with the exception of premieres, guest performances, special events, Christmas and New Year's Eve). Ticket, system and advance booking fees are not discountable.
Short & Sweet
- This much time must be 2 to 3 hours
- How to get there S-Bahn to Hamburg-Altona, bus to Gerichtsstraße
- Gastronomy Theatre hall connected with the Bistro Foyer
- Nearby Altona Museum
- Tip Combine your visit to the opera with a multi-course dinner before, between and after the performance