With two HP over the mudflats to Neuwerk island. On to the remotest part of Hamburg.
Travelling by Wattwagen (horse-drawn carriage) is a unique experience. The smell of sea salt, the powerful horses setting the pace and the passengers getting a face full of the sea spray. This used to be norm, but today it is a great adventure for the whole family. Neuwerk in the Helgoland Bight lies in the centre of the national park established in 1990 and it offers rugged, unspoilt nature.
Short & Sweet
- For whom All weatherproof Hamburg visitors
- How to get there By foot from Cuxhaven, by ferry, Wattwagen
- Tip Wear waterproof clothing
- Time required 2 to 3 hours
- Special fact Visit the oldest preserved lighthouse in the world on Neuwerk
- Food North Sea cuisine in the Restaurant “Zum Anker”