Since the opening on 11.01.2017, the Elbphilharmonie has undoubtedly become Hamburg's landmark: More than 2 million guests attended over 1,000 concerts. Well over 11 million enjoyed the panoramic view from the publicly accessible Plaza.
Nearly 70,000 people took part in concert tours of the Elbphilharmonie, and over 60,000 people of all ages took part in the music events offered by the Elbphilharmonie. The Elbphilharmonie is truly a building of superlatives - spectacular architecture meets breathtaking acoustics.
A bold, undulating glass construction rises above the historic Kaispeicher warehouse at the western tip of HafenCity: the Elbphilharmonie warmly welcomes all visitors to Hamburg. It is already the architectural and cultural landmark and symbolizes the spirit of a deeply musical city.
Bridging the gap between tradition and modernity
The Elbphilharmonie is probably the best-known example of bridging the gap between tradition and modernity. The combination of red brick walls and a filigree glass building makes the Konzerthaus the epitome of Hamburg's self-image. The former Kaispeicher A was used until the end of the last century as a warehouse for cocoa beans, among other things. It forms the foundation for 200,000 tons of culture: the glass façade transforms the 110 m high structure of the Philharmonie into a huge crystal with an ever-changing appearance. With its glass panels which are curved and cut in parts, it captures the reflections of the sky, the water and the city.
Hamburg CARD Discount
- 10% discount on souvenirs in the souvenir shop
- 20% discount on coffee in Deck & Deli (Please note: The HamburgCARD must be presented to staff BEFORE ordering so that the discount can be granted. In some cases a table reservation is required. No duplication of discounts possible.)
Short & Sweet
- For whom All Hamburg Visitors
- How to get there By public transport (U3 to Baumwall, bus and ferry)
- What not to miss "The Tube" the unique curved escalator
- Length of stay 1 - 2 hours
- Food coffee, snacks and other drinks at "Deck + Deli"
- Tip Book a guided tour of the Plaza for even more information about the city's landmark