Theatre & Directions
Hamburg's newest theatre in the middle of the harbour.
Theater an der Elbe
For a perfect arrival
Your musical experience begins with a boat trip across the Elbe. Upon reaching the opposite bank after this "short harbour tour", the brand new Stage Theater an der Elbe and a unique view of Hamburg's skyline await you. The new theatre is an architectural jewel. Its exterior features 10,000 shiny stainless steel shingles and a glass façade up to twelve metres high. Inside, the two-storey foyer with open gallery, appealing bars and contemporary art invites you to linger; the highest level of musical performance niveau will unfold in the beautiful hall with 1,850 seats.
- By public transport / HVV: S1 and S3 to the Landungsbrücken stop. Underground line U3 to the Landungsbrücken stop (not barrier-free).
- By boat: Regular departures from St. Pauli Landungsbrücken/Brücke 1 starting two hours before the performance; for afternoon shows starting one hour before the performance. The last ferry will return to the Landungsbrücken 1.5 hours after the performance. Only use ships with the illuminated sign "HADAG Musical Shuttle Service" as not all ships go to the theatre.
- By car (A7 from south or north): Exit at Waltershof/Hafen, turn right on Finkenwerder Straße, left on Köhlbrandbrücke. Continue on the Köhlbrandbrücke and Roßdamm roads. After the Ellerholzbrücke turn left on Reiherdamm. Continue over the Argentinienbrücke, follow Reiherdamm and then turn right on Nordersand.
- By car (A1 from the south or west): From the A1 take the A255 motorway towards Hamburg-Centrum. After the Elbbrücken follow the signs to the right. Turn right on Baakenwerder Straße. After approx. 30 m, turn right on Versmannstraße. Follow Versmannstraße, Freihafen-Elbbrücke, Rampenstraße, Am Saalehafen, Veddeler Damm. After approx. 4 km, turn right on Reiherdamm towards Steinwerder. Continue over the Argentinienbrücke, follow Reiherdamm and then turn right on Nordersand.
- Parking: Paid on-site spaces available (flat rate € 6 hours).
- Entrance: 1.5 hours before show begin
- Important security information: Please plan to be at the theatre approximately one hour before the performance in order to avoid longer waiting times at the security checkpoint and to ensure that you can be seated at your leisure.