Filming permit

In Hamburg and Schleswig-Holstein, a permit is required if shooting for a film in public spaces causes an impairment of motorists, residents or other third parties, for example when light and camera equipment is set up, or the laying of supply lines is required on public paths.

Permits are not required if there are no such impairments to be expected, e.g. shooting with a simple hand camera without further equipment.

For additional measures such as road blocks, stopping restrictions and the like, an additional exemption permit pertaining to traffic law (»straßenrechtliche Ausnahmegenehmigung«) a duly application is needed. When you want to apply both permissions, please fill in the Film Commission's so-called motif-sheet (»Motivbogen«). 

The use of public waterways, landscape conversation areas and natural reserves also needs to be granted as is the case with night-time, traffic and aerial filming, the use of trailers and heavy goods transports.

Due to the prohibition to employ minors an exemption permit must be approved for filming with children. It regulates at what times and  how long children may be permitted to work, how many rests they require and what the maximum allowable time is that they may spend on the set.

Film Commission in Hamburg and Kiel provides information on the responsible authorities, the respective proceedings and the costs.

For further information and guidelines about permits for shooting please visit the website of "Filmförderung Hamburg Schleswig-Holstein".


Sascha Albertsen
Head of Communications

Phone: +49 40-300 51 111

Florian Schleinig
Project Manager Media Relations
(Tourism Department) 

Phone.: 040-300 51 495

Loading results...
Wait a minute, please!

Your Hamburg Tourismus Team