The best places to watch ships on the Elbe
Watching ships - it enthrals locals as well as visitors, who often plan their stay around a stopover of the Queen Mary 2, the Queen Elizabeth or Aida.
Thanks to the Hamburg Cruise Centre, for several years there have been two separate Hamburg cruise terminals for arrivals, perfect for admiring the luxury liners and very popular for events. The transparent glass design and subtle lighting are especially beautiful in the evening, and the View Point offers an ideal location the view the big ships. But there are also other nice places to watch the ships:
- The St. Pauli Landungsbrücken offer a good view of the Elbe as well as a convivial atmosphere.
- From the tower of the Nikolaikirche or St. Michaelis church the view of the ships is not only ideal, but the city itself unfolds before the visitor.
- You get a good panoramic view of the harbour from Weinberg am Stintfang above the Landungsbrücken.
- From the south bank of the Elbe by the Theater im Hafen you can watch the giant cruisers from the other side.
- The Fish Market in Altona is near the Cruise Centre Altona.
- From the most unusual office building in Hamburg, the Dockland, you get a great view of incoming ships.
- On the Övelgönne beach the ships can be watched travelling leisurely towards the harbour.
- Park Fiction in St. Pauli is a popular viewing point above the Elbe.
- From Bubendey shore the big ships can be watched coming into the harbour.
- At the top of Australiakai you have a good view of the ships at the Cruise Centre Altona.
- You can watch the cruise ships entering and leaving from Rüschpark.
- From the Altonaer Balkon you have a good view of the Cruise Centre Altona.
- The Strand Pauli beach club offers a convivial atmosphere to watch the ships in the harbour.
- When walking along the Elbwanderweg you have a good view of ships arriving and departing.